9.18.2008

A Brutal Win

Good News is that I booked a WIN!....crappy part is that i had to survive some brutal hands. I got there early monday and got into a 1/2 game for $200 and the game was good. It wasn't crazy and wasn't tame, it was actually just a good game w/ solid action and average players (well sorta). Just to give an overview of the table, i'm in the one seat. An absolute moran in the two seat, a regular in the 3 (good player). Four seat was a nice guy that didn't mind to get in there and go broke w/ one pair. There to gamble but had a clue about the game. 6 seat was an asian dude who was in every pot but not really aggressive. That's about the only important stuff to know about the make up of the table. It started rather routinely, i was card dead and action was all around me. I stayed patient and never really got involved and had about $120 infront of me when the first hand came up. I have 77 in a $12 to go pot three handed. The flop is 7,5,2!!....i finally hit a set in a raised pot! The three seat was the preflop raiser and I bet $20 into him and he raised to $55 and the six seat called. This is where I sometimes struggle, I know the 3 has an overpair and there is no reasonable guess as to what the six seat has. If I go all in I know i'm getting called by the three seat but do i want to call and let the six seat put more money in the pot? I elect to Raise $65 more and the 3 seat moves in and the six seat folds and I tell the 3 i have top set and then a queen on the turn and i'm praying that's not him, and then an Ace on the river and he says "of course" which means he had KK. The six seat said he wasn't calling any more bets unless he hit his hand. He said he AK and called $55 w/ zip!



That was really nice to hit that hand. Felt like it had been forever since I hit a hand like that. Two hands later I pick QQ and make it $13 and get 4 callers and take it down on the flop with a $45 bet. I'm pretty much minding my own business and not really playing to many hands b/c after all, I'm still running really cold. The next time I get involved I have AdKd and mp makes it $15 and I call right behind him and the button and the small blind call. Flop is Ax,10x,8d and it checks to me and I bet $40 and get THREE callers....now i'm praying for something on the turn to make me more confident, maybe a diamond or something. Well the Turn is a Jack and this time the small blind bets $30. The preflop raiser calls and I'm not sure where the hell I'm at in the hand. I'm so confused and not sure what to do. Everything in the world is telling me to fold but how do u fold with that much money in the pot? I call and we continue our family journey to the river w/ all 4 of us still in there. River is, a King....sweet, I make two pair on a four card straight board. Small blind checks, preflop raiser bets $100, I fold, button calls and the small blind is disgusted and folds. Chop Chop, preflop raiser had QQ and button had Q,9 and hit his gutshot on the turn and had to chop on the river. That hand sucked but i guess it could always be worse.



Now the crappy part of the session really starts. Just to give you an idea of what I was up against. The two seat was wearing a sleeveless saints t-shirt w/ a longsleeve shirt under it and he was proud of his shirt and bragged about it a few times, had somewhat of a pencil line beard and constantly talked at the table and no one ever talked back to him. He tried to be friends w/ the asian guy in the six seat and he barely understood english and just kept looking at him like he was weird. He constantly said "baby" to everyone and was convinced he was a good player. Told us he won 1k the day before and he tried to hit on every cocktail waitress and chip runner. Pretty much just a douche bag. Infact one funny line was when he was in a hand w/ the asian guy who went by "John" (i always find that interesting, b/c i'm pretty sure his name isn't translated into john)...anyway, he's in a hand w/ Asian John and he says to john "you scare me baby, should i fold baby...u scare me baby"....well Asian John says in reply "you scare me...you've been calling me baby for two hours now"....it was really funny timing and w/ the broken english made it even funnier. Now comes what costed me over and $800 swing to the upside!



I've got around $200 or so infront of me after a few missed flops and draws but I'm feeling ok about it for the most part. I get dealt j,9 and call $10 from the cutoff and take the flop seven handed. Flop: 10,8,7!...flopped the nuts and not in the mood to slow play a hand that can only be caught up to. Guy leads out for $10 for some dumb reason and it folds to me and I make it $50 and the guy on my left calls and everyone else folds. With 100 draws out there i'm hoping he just has a 10 b/c he will definitely call w/ top pair. I've already seen him pay off A,Q w/ his A,5 on more than one occasion. With that being said I just really want two blanks more than ever. Well not exactly gonna happen. Turn is another 10, now this isn't a very good card but it pretty much ensures me to double up unless of course he gets bailed out b/c I know he didn't flop two pair. I bet $85 knowing that he's not going anywhere if he does have a ten and of course he calls. So I'm fading the board double pairing or him hitting his shitty kicker. Well I forgot to cheer against the third option and that's the Third TEN coming out!...and like clock work the F#*$)@! ten hits the river and I am about to throw up. I just take a deep breath and check and he doesn't do anything for a good 5 seconds and now i'm thinking he missed his flush draw or something. Well I turn my hand up and show my straight after he knocks the table and then he throws his cards towards the muck and I'm momentarily happy and Melvin (the dealer) doesn't grab right away and all of sudden he grabs his cards back and flips them over to show 10,5 for his quads!....WTF!!....Now there is no reason for Melvin to have grabbed his cards before he took them back b/c only a second had passed. But what the hell was this guy thinking, he didn't even bet and then folded his hand and then realized he had four of a kind?...I'm still clueless as to what that was about. Well now I'm flustered and can't believe I flopped the nuts and was a 92% favorite on the flop against his 10,5 and it comes running tens. Honestly don't know if i've ever been drawn out on in a worst way. Well I don't even have time to reload and the next hand is dealt out and it's straddled and I have like $60-$70 infront of me and of course I look down at AA...that's just when u know you're running good. You get out drawn from what would have been sure double up and instead of having $400 infront of me I have around $60. I just call the $4 knowing that I'm not going anywhere anyway. and someone pops it to $12 and I make it $35 total and get 3 callers. The Flop is A,Q,10 and a guy bets out $30 and I move all in and then it gets raised behind me to $100 total and the other guy folds and before I can even think I know what it is, and he shows K,J!...Turn comes off and it's a Queen and I win the hand. Can u believe that shit? What an insane swing that costed me. The K,J guy had over $400 infront of him and I woulda doubled through on back to back hands. He told me wouldn't have folded his straight and I believe him. If my straight holds up and then the AA hand I woulda had over $800 infront of me but instead i'm no where near that. I know you're not supposed to think like that but when it happens on back to back hands its hard to not think about it. Even better, about 10 minutes later the 3 seat makes it $25 and one person calls and I fold, just not even wanting to throw away $25 of my $150 stack w/ 22 and of course K,2,Q on the flop and he had Aces. If i've got $800 infront of me I play that hand quite possibly take his $400 infront of him.



Anyway, I usually don't dwell like that...but when you're not running good it's hard to not think about what might have been. The upside is that I didn't go broke w/ j,9 and then the AA hand put me near even and now I just needed to gather myself and play like i just sat down. I pick up a few pots and Flop a set of nines and win a nice pot and get up a few bucks. Yea, that's right...I flopped 3 SETS!...That was nice to do that, made a few straights and felt like I wasn't totally helpless out there. All in all it was really nice to book a win. I'm ready to play some more and might head out there Thursday.
Keep It Real Homies.

1 comment:

Southpawrounder said...

Glad you booked a win. The 77 hand where you struggle sometimes w/ the what to do w/ the 3rd player in there. I use to feel the same way, but now If I take the line of leading out and get a rze and a coldcall I see no reason to just stick it allin right there especially w/ stacks that short at the time. The preflop rzr is likely not going anywhere unless he raised w/ total air and the coldcall says "strenght most of the time" I think you get to calls enough of the time to just stick it in. Even if you just get one...can't complain about more than doubling up. I think we try to think to much sometimes.
As far the hand w/ AK and facing the $30 bet on the turn. I think most times this is a spot where you think you are probably beat but the bet is so small you need to try to hit the gutshot. More importantly just to regroup on the river and see what happens then. Just my opinion and best of luck